Traditional Ayurveda against COVID 19:
The Ministry of AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy) has released an advisory on Ayurveda’s immunity boosting measures for self-care during the COVID-19 crisis. This is all about how to enhance our body’s natural defense system (immunity) plays an important role in maintaining optimum health.
While we have no medicine for COVID-19 as of now, it will be good if we can take preventive measures to boost our immunity.
Amidst all this virus disruption around the world, Ministry of AYUSH has recommended the following self-care guidelines for preventive health measures and boosting immunity with special reference to respiratory health. Above all, these are supported by Ayurvedic literature and scientific publications:
- Drink warm water throughout the day.
- Daily practice of Yogasana, Pranayama and meditation for at least 30 minutes as advised by Ministry.
- Spices like Haldi (Turmeric), Jeera (Cumin), Dhaniya (Coriander) and Lahsun (Garlic) are recommended in cooking.
Ayurvedic Immunity Promoting Measures:
- Take Chyavanprash 10gm (1tsf) in the morning. Diabetics should take sugar free Chyavanprash.
- Drink herbal tea made from Tulsi (Basil), Cinnamon, Black pepper, Dry Ginger and Raisin – once or twice a day. To this you can add natural palm sugar / fresh lemon juice according to your taste, if needed.
- Golden Milk – Half teaspoon turmeric powder in 150 ml hot milk – once or twice a day.
Simple Ayurvedic Procedures:
- Nasal application – Apply sesame oil / coconut oil or Ghee in both the nostrils in morning and evening.
- Oil pulling therapy – Take 1 tablespoon sesame or coconut oil in mouth. You should not drink or swallow it. One should swish the oil in mouth for 2 to 3 minutes and spit it off followed by through warm water rinse. This can be done once or twice a day. Preferably start your day with oil pulling for the best results.
In conclusion, the above recommendations explain how traditional Ayurveda against COVID 19 or be it any virus. The above measures are recommended by eminent Vaidyas from across the Country. This is because, they possibly boost an individual’s immunity against infections.
However, the advisory issued by the AYUSH Ministry also states a disclaimer that it does not claim to be treatment for COVID 19.